Thursday, April 12, 2012

What if Space Siege was like Alien Breed: Impact?

[:1]Anyone else see or try Alien Breed: Impact (demo or full game)?
One thing I disliked about Space Siege were the controls. It was kind of like Diablo's click to move and shoot but with more skill moves. A bit awkward to say the least.
Playing Alien Breed: Impact for under 1 hour, I found the controls feel just perfect. I turn the camera by panning, aim around to see with the flash light, and move/strafe with the keyboard. The maze-like tight corridors is where it feels most natural--approach a corner, pan a bit to get a good viewing angle of the next corridor, and point the cursor in that direction while strafing. It's kind of like a FPS (Gears of War) in top down 3rd person view. Maybe add a smart camera to auto track the mouse if it stays in a certain area long enough. Now that I think about it, it gives me much more appreciation for GoW's controls. Was Hellgate:London kind of like this?
If only you could assign items or guns to hotkeys like 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. rather than scrolling through with mouse wheel or z or x.
They ripped a lot of things from Space Siege and made it so much better. I haven't played much, but I hope for some epic boss battles because these dumb zerg things aren't offering any challenge so far.
Some videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmJL8uztqWo
It's only $15 as well or just try the demo for free. I'll be surprised if it offers more hours of gameplay than Space Siege at this price. It was released early last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment