Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Laggy Mouse, slow menus

[:1]I have a PC running Vista Business, AGP nVidia 7600GS, AMD 4200+ dual core, 2GB memory. Lots of disc space. Latest video drivers (updated them last night from the nVidia site).



I installed the demo. Immediately the mouse is super laggy - really effects hameplay. I down-scaled the video settings, no difference. Restarted the game, no difference. Rebooted, no difference. Took game suggested video defaults again, restarted, no difference. Run in "windowed" mode, mouse seems a bit better (mouse less laggy) but the game is hard to play in a window. Place it back in full screen mode and again, mouse is laggy, game is difficult to play.



I searched google and saw others reporting this issue but no suggestions other than "restart the game". Thoughts from the developers would be greatly appreciated.



Also, when I select a menu it seems pretty slow to come up, over a second I would say? I can appreciate a nice slide in effect but these feel really laggy. It could be this is actually the mouse problem, too, but it just felt odd. Sort of the same thing when pressing "M"ap, it should just snap up, but it seems like there is a 1 second delay? Mostly this is annoying coming from Dungeon Siege where almost everything was very fast and responsive.



About shooting: One of the things I loved about Dungeon Siege was that it was a "button masher". I could set my level of engagement so I had to button mash or they would auto-attack, and auto attack -a- closest, -b- strongest, etc. I think Space Siege could leverage this same sort of ability.



The map: I really miss the ability to quickly press Tab to get a Map overlayed and not have it stop the action. I can appreciate pressing tab to switch weapons, but what about something like "q" to switch weapons and tab to bring up the map preferably overlayed so I don't have to stop the game. With an option so it toggles or just stays up overlayed.



Finally: Especially due to the mouse / video issues mentioned above, I wish this was a 360 game. The controls are probably minimal enough that it would work on the 360.|||Sounds like GPG doesn't like mouse clicks that work! In SupCom, too, the laggy UI is often cited as a major reason the top players are leaving.|||Yes I had a problem with the lagging mouse as well. Was one of my main complaints about the demo along with no WASD movement|||My mouse lagged if I disabled VSYNC on my 7950GX2 system. If I turn it back on, the mouse lag goes away.



Which is unfortunate because VSYNC impedes SLI.|||Well are you all using an USB mouse maybe? - If yes then try once an (old) PS/2 mouse just as reference test.



Depending on the hardware, mouse drivers and on how resource-intensive applications are programmed there can be sometimes a notable latency on the USB... :(|||I use USB as well and its fine, try different resolutions/settings.



And check that your display isn't in 16 bit or something.|||I haven't tried changing vsync I don't think, but I definitely tried lower and higher resolutions, lower and higher textures, etc. When in full screen it didn't make any difference.



I will double check my color depth, but I am 99% sure it never leaves 32bit. But I will check.



My mouse is definitely USB. I will look for a PS2 adapter and try that.|||KillerGremal|||I looked and couldn't immediately find a USB/PS2 mouse adapter nor do I still have a PS2 mouse, so that is straight out.



I tried "default" video settings and VSYNC on and off, makes no difference.



I dropped all settings to absolute minimum / off and it helps the mouse a little bit, bit it doesn't solve the problem. The game is still jumpy, the mouse is still laggy.



Let me give a better description of laggy. If you move the mouse just a little it delays before showing the new location. This is true if you do large movements, too.... Say, you move the mouse quickly so it would go half way across the screen, the pointer stays in the first position until the time it would be at the stopped position across then screen then a beat later it appears at the second location - there is no pointer image between the two positions - and it takes longer than it should to appear at the second location.



I have checked my color depth. It is 32bit, this system has never run 16bit.



I am saddened that Space Siege folks haven't chimed in with anything more than "resolution" and "32bit". If this isn't resolved, you have definitely lost a sale, which is sad, I know others are having this same problem. I have been incredibly excited to play Space Siege since the first announcement, oh well.|||You do know that demos are unsupported, that TCC is not anything to do with Space Siege, and I use a USB mouse which is fine.|||OK DeadMG, I stand corrected: TCC has nothing to do with Space Siege. USB mice work fine. Demos are unsupported. BUT, I am not the only one having this problem - happily you don't.



BUT, it has always been my impression that demos should help you determine if the game is your cup of tea AND if it the game will run on your system AND because releasing demos can help developers reach a wider audience to help find problems with their code (which would technically be a beta-test, but...). I am a software developer, myself. When I put out a demo, I want to know if it doesn't work for people so I can help them get it running correctly. If I didn't make sure it ran for as many people as possible, I would lose sales.



I believe I meet the suggested system specs (posted previously) but the game doesn't work correctly (as previously described). I came here because this is the official GP forum. I mistakenly thought GP might care about these issues and want people to be able to play their demo in such a way as it would translate to sale. I had the idea that GP was in the business of making games because they wanted people to buy them. If their demo doesn't work, wouldn't it benefit them to help people get it working?



If they won't support their demo to help me determine if their game is "just broken on some configurations," or if there is something I can adjust to make it work right, then they lost a sale. If GP truly doesn't provide any help for people who have problems with their demo, I truly won't drop $50 on the chance that the "release" code works better. It's really unfortunate as I loved Dungeon Siege and ALL of its sequels (I bought every Dungeon Siege game, sequel, and expansion). I want to play Space Siege, but I want it to run correctly.



Sure, sometimes demos this close to release are based on code that is weeks or months old. Maybe the release code has my problem solved. But without somebody from GP at least acknowledging the issue, I won't bet my $50 on it.|||I just wanted to chime in here and concur with the original poster. While I really enjoyed the demo, the mouse was laggy for me too. It's as if the mouse cursor responds to mouse movement a split second later. So it makes point-and-click a bit frustrating for such a point-and-click intensive game.



I'm going to keep checking these forums and see if a patch addresses the issue before picking it up. I did enjoy my time with the demo quite a bit. If the mouse thing gets fixed up I'll definately take the plunge.|||http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265833|||Oh well, with a 6.4 at IGN I guess my mouse-lag problems and the lack of GPG's interest in helping me solve my mouse-lag problem are the least of this games issues. Too bad, I was really very excited to play this game. I guess I'll hold off and see if Too Human fairs better.|||Per the readme, certain system configurations can induce cursor lag.



We have open requests with the video card manufacturers to compensate for this in drivers as it is video specific. In the meantime however, use this workaround:



1. Start up "Space Siege" and either start a game or load an existing one.

2. Once the game has begun, press the ‘Enter’ key to bring up the chat console.

3. Type “forceflushbeforepresent” (without the quotes) into the chat field.

4. Press enter to submit the text. You can toggle this setting off again by entering this text again from within the chat console.



- Servo|||I actually added



"forceflushbeforepresent = true"



as a new line in "SpaceSiege.ini" file (the game's saved configuration)



it is located "My Documents\My Games\Space Siege"



it seems to work. I don't have to retype that in every time now.|||While it didn't completely remove all sluggishness on the mouse, this helped a great deal. This made the demo quite a bit more playable.



I should take two wacks on the knuckles for not reading the readme.txt file, but it would be nice of somebody from GPG was watching the forums for this kind of thing instead of just letting the message sit here for nearly two weeks. Oh well.|||I had the same problem with the full version, Vista32 and Logitech wireless USB mouse.

It seems to improve matters.

I entered "forceflushbeforepresent" in the console and it appeared in Speceseige.ini which is in "Documents\My Games\Space Siege" in Vista.

No comments:

Post a Comment