Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Possible fix for Demo / Vista Ultimate crash

[:1]I installed with antivirus disabled, uninstalled/reinstalled/rebooted/uninstalled+reinstalled physx and various combinations of the above. I ran the installer (both physx and the demo itself) as administrator, and set the game to run as admin.



SLI'd 8800 GT with 175.19 driver, X-Fi driver updated as well.



Everytime, same thing: between zero and 2 seconds after the confirmation dialog, I get "Space Siege Game Executable has stopped working.". Clicking "details" gives the following. Event viewer just shows "Exception ID 1000" with no other information.



Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: SpaceSiege.exe

Application Version: 1.0.0.38

Application Timestamp: 487d13bb

Fault Module Name: SpaceSiege.exe

Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.38

Fault Module Timestamp: 487d13bb

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00627f04

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: b965

Additional Information 2: 9bf9cefaad1000294dd97908102565ab

Additional Information 3: 4ee1

Additional Information 4: 378552f648c75720c396d6283444158f|||update Microsoft Installer (or did they rebadge it as Windows Installer?), if that fails then try it in another computer.|||Didn't help, but ty for suggestion. I've since verified all mobo drivers/bios up to date. It's a biostar t-power N750, AMD 9550 BE, 4 GB of ram. I'll try disabling SLI maybe. I've ripped out all non-essential services/startups too.|||turning off sli didnt work either.|||Try running it with elevated privileges?|||I have exactly the same problem, but on Vista Business. As you have done, I've updated my drivers, downloaded the demo multiple times (from gamespy), installed/uninstalled/reinstalled, installed as admin, run as admin, installed with anti-virus disabled... I just don't get it.



I have been a huge fan of GPG since the first Dungeon Siege, and so Space Siege had been a definite buy for me. But I have been hearing bad things about it, so really need to try this demo. I'm on a brand new PC, so no old files clogging up the system... and the demo won't run.



I'm glad to finally find someone else with the exact same problem as me. Could GPG please post suggestions for what to try?|||It's not Vista, runs fine on my and my brother's Vista Ultimate. I'd go for updating DirectX, .Net framework, graphics drivers, etc. Uh, why do you install PhysX? I don't know if Space Siege supports it, but I don't have it installed.|||I was already running Direct 10 just fine, but I did notice the demo said it was installing Direct X updates during the installation process. I was fully updated, so I don't know what the demo installs... but perhaps that breaks something?



I've also checked Windows Update and there isn't anything relevant on offer... this is a new PC, and I've updated everything I can find updates for... still no luck.



I am curious though... where did you all download the demo from? Perhaps the Gamespy version is bugged, and a download from another location would work?|||CaptainBadger|||PhoeniX60|||OOPS...I just posted the same exact problem.



http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?t=30957



Vista Business 8800GTX 680i Mobo 4GB of Ram



No luck at all.|||well its not because of Vista Ultimate, i have it and i had no problems with the demo.|||I too ran the demo under Vista Ultimate and didn't have any problems.|||Ok, got it to work. For everyone having problems, here are the changes I made to my system:



Updated to the latest SB Audigy 2 drivers (Alchemy). Seems there was a release on 8/1 of new Vista Drivers



Updated my Mobo to the latest BIOS (p28 to p32).



Removed\Uninstalled Microsoft Live Mesh Tech Preview



Removed\Uninstalled Diskeeper 2008 Pro



MSCONFIG - Killed the following boot processes:

- Windows Eseenials Media Codecs Update Service

- DAEMON Tools Lite

- Creative Sync Manager

- CtHelper Application

- CTXfiHlp Application

- Microsoft LifeCam

- QuickTime

- PC Pitstop Optimize Reminder

- PC Pitstop Optimize

- WinAMP Agent



Really not sure if it was one or all of these things, but it works now. Mostly I did this stuff to streamline my boot process, but after doing it, I found that the game now starts and runs with no issues.



Maybe this will help someone else out.|||Thanks for getting back with your new update info CyberCrist. I am going to sticky this one for the time being. It is likely this problem will occur in the main game as well.



Config testing can include an infinite number of combinations. We had not seen the crashing on any of our config systems, but given the above list, the most likely culprits were either the BIOS, or the Audigy drivers.



If you can identify what versions of those two you had previously installed, we can try reproducing the problem.



- Servo|||Disckeeper is evil. I have plenty of bad experiences with it.



Updating the SB audigy drivers most likely did the trick.



BTW: CTXfiHlp is a part of Audigy drivers :).|||Thanks for the information, and congratulations on getting the demo to work.



I just patched my BIOS as there was a new version from a couple of weeks back.



My sound is on board and is Realtek, but the driver is the latest.



I checked MSCONFIG and don't see the files you killed.



I had really hoped the BIOS update would get me in the demo, the exact same problem is still there. As others have said, the full game will most likely be set up just the same, so I couldn't play it if I wanted to.|||GPG-Servo|||DeadMG

No comments:

Post a Comment