Friday, April 13, 2012

A few questions regarding DRM, etc.

[:1]I have a few questions about how playable Space Siege is, with regards to Digital Rights Management (DRM), copy protection, etc. And to answer the inevitable, yes, I am completely and totally paranoid.



1) Can one play it without the DVD in?



2) Does it require internet access, for activation or otherwise? If yes, how often, and what data is collected?



3) Does it use SecuROM? If no, does it use any copy protection software?



4) Does it install anything onto my computer that I cannot easily remove?



5) Does it install anything onto my computer without clearly informing me that it is doing so, and providing me the choice to opt out?



6) Is there any limit to how many times I can (re)install it? For example, if I uninstall the game, and then reinstall it, would this have any detrimental effect on my ability to install it in the future?



Thanks for any help you can offer - I trust GPG (mostly), but I've had at least one very, very bad experience with Sega. And, like I said, I tend to be overly cautious.



Thanks again!|||Which game was the one with which you had your educational experience?|||Benny Moore|||Cyos2|||Cyos2|||Awesome! I'll definately be getting Space Siege ASAP. Not only does everything check out in regards to DRM/copy-protection, but the fact that I got an answer straight from GPG within 24 hours convinces me that I have nothing to fear. Thanks a ton! :D|||I'm with you Cyos2, Bioware should come here and take a page out of GPG's book on customer relations.



Those of you who bashed Space Siege when comparing to Mass Effect, theres one very good reason why I would choose SS over MEPC. DRM.



Mass Effect may be a brillent game, but I refuse to buy something that limits me in how many times I can install it before begging the publisher to let me reinstall.|||it still installs secdrv.sys i found...



which microsoft them selves found can elevate any EXE to admin priv at boot since it grants ring0 access to what ever chosen executable it links to



thankfully this is not as system damaging as SecruROM, and acceptable in my book, just keep that virus scanner up and running :)

No comments:

Post a Comment