Monday, April 16, 2012

WASD key movement

First off - kudos to GPG, great game! I do love your innovation.



So after jumping in the demo the first thing I did was hit WASD to try to move around. Naturally the game is true to the whole diablo/dungeon siege style 'click-to-move' model, but with a much more interactive gameplay it just felt like I should be moving around with the keyboard.



A while back I played a similar sci-fi top-down game, I forget what it was called though and it's annoying me, that was a lot like Space Siege and that used to the keyboard to move the character around.



I would very much like to be able to do the same thing in SS, so I guess I'm just talking aloud in a vain hope that someone important will read my post and go "hmm, ok, lets listen to this nova fella and quickly put this in the release version" or maybe even say "well actually you just do this and then this and you can do that!", but I don't like my chances.|||I had the exact same thought when I played the demo. Using the WASD keys for moving would also allow you to move WHILE fireing and to avoid enemy fire easier.



Using the WASD keys just feels natural and an option to use them for movement would be good.|||You don't get to use WASD? *cancels demo download*



I could never work games without WASD.|||Omecron|||BulletMagnet|||I agree with al of the above, WASD was the first thing I tried too.



Maybe if they made a "sticky" targeting thing where once you attack a target you'll attack that target until it's dead, letting you move around without have to continuously click on the enemies.



But WASD would still be better.



Mike|||OrangeKnight|||You can hold out the left mouse and he'll move twoards it.



I prefer that in isometric RPGs than WASD.



And yeah the WASD camers is a bit new gotta get used to it. :)|||The Problem TCC, is that we Can't simultaneously Rightclick to shoot at aliens and Left click somewhere else to move.



It's like Starcraft: The Dungeon Siege Edition!



Mike|||I raised this point in brent_w's "Needs a console release" thread.

http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?t=30202



I see once again game developers are being foolish. Such a tragic destiny. Can humans ever defy fate?|||NovaPrim3|||So.. who was the one thinking that a 8 year old control sheme is fit for the year 2008?





We had tht in diablo and diablo 2 and we had it in dozens of clones and it was an annoyance in each of them.







Read this carefully: The moment you make a game about a guy using a gun to shoot things, make it a wasd shooter'esque controlsheme because i simply can't stand being a fckn turret.|||Quote:|||Darh_Carl99|||Use shield, dodging problem solved.|||Making a control system deliberately awkward just to force players to gain skills to overcome it, is not good design. Otherwise we'd all be applauding Starcraft's 12 unit selection limit.



Even fighting games have much simplified their control schemes since the early days.



Tactics should be about what you CHOOSE to do, not what the control systems lets you fumble your way through.|||AdmiralZeech|||I just used shield and stopped caring about wasd -_- I'd need zqsd for my azerty board anyway|||Ah I see TCC is telling us how "fine" the game is and how he'd prefer it not to change again. Good ol TCC, haven't changed a bit since his days with us in FA. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment