Friday, April 13, 2012

Does GPG want Space Siege to fail?

[:1]With only a week to go before the launch, I amazed that there is no hype around this game. Very few people are talking about it, and the forums are all very quiet, especially the official ones. Why are staff not talking here, getting people excited?



The demo seems to have scared as many people away as it has brought them in. I can't comment on the demo since I can't get it working, and my post about that is being ignored.



Was it Microsoft that drove the releases of the previous Dungeon Siege titles? If so, will Sega do anything to help this game?



I was a sure sale, but since the demo won't run, and there appears to be zero support for the game, I'm going to pass for now. Perhaps I'll pick it up when it's on budget and has received a few patches.



Really disappointed in GPG :cry:|||GPG is a developer, and building "hype" is not really their job, I think they hired stardocks, the distributors, to do that.



hype is short term, think about long term.|||Sega is the publisher for Space Siege I think, not Stardock.



GPG isn't really in charge of hyping. They could be in the forums more but lots of games have devs who never speak in the forums.|||I realize that devs don't hang around the forums for all games, and they are probably working on last minute bug fixes, but not having anyone official talking about the game makes it seem like they aren't proud of it. Typically, a good game has at least a few people who are constantly talking to reviewers and hanging on their own forum to help build interest.



Sega is the publisher this time around, but to be honest, I have never really noticed sega building hype. They publish, but they don't seem good at spreading excitement around.



A demo is a promo piece, a small portion of the game to whet your appetite, and it's a very important promo piece. I have played demo's before when sure I would buy a game, only to discover it isn't the game I thought it was, and I cancel my order. On the other hand, I've played demo's for games I'm not sure about, and they have won me over. I'm not the only one who has problems running the demo, but nobody is responding.



It just seems like GPG has moved on to Demigod, well, I don't know what they are doing... perhaps they just have too many games to be published, so aren't giving full attention to any of them. I have visited the forum at the Sega website, and it's always been pretty dead. August 2007 they bragged about visiting GPG and getting interview videos, but a year later, they still haven't bothered to post anything as, I believe SeaDawg said, the game wasn't top priority.



I'm seeing August 22 as the most commonly listed release date, which I believe would be driven by the publisher. Hopefully, this means they will give it a lot of attention at PAX, August 29-31.



Really, this post is a cry for GPG to get excited about their own game and talk about it more.|||Actually, I like Gas Powered Games' method. I find that companies that hype their products invariably create a false sense, and build up to a letdown. It is much more honest to simply state facts and let the game speak for itself.|||I agree, lack of advertising = lower number of people playing the game, happened with both SupCom and FA, only found out about them through friends/forums.



Now see, the giant count down that they had for those 3 units would be perfect for game launches|||CB, you write much but not think as so.



They no talk because they not allowed to, all companies have controls over their IP. It is legal thing.|||CaptainBadger|||Derek|||Derek|||What I have read about SpaceSiege in german magazines is that it already failed big times...

Dont think there are many people who will buy it for full prize.



Well we will see.|||Bhaal|||Those reviews make me a little more confident, though of course the full one when it is released will have more pros and cons listed.|||They need a better product to hype....|||Well, I will add my two cents. As for the initial question, Does GPG want Space Siege to fail? That is an obvious no. :)



Will it fail? I believe the amount of aftermarket support they are willing to give the game will be the ultimate deciding factor of a success or failure.



I have loved all their products since DS1. They gave excellent aftermarket support there and that helped to build a good foundation of trust from the community, and the ensuing longevity of the series.



And I believe the aftermarket support they give their new games will be the deciding factor of the success or fail of GPG as a whole. Let's hope they return to their roots and give us, the community, what we deserve from their products. 8)|||PhoeniX60|||t1essev

No comments:

Post a Comment